On July 23, 2018, the Alberta Utilities Commission issued a notice of Commission-initiated proceeding to outline its processes to consider independent system operator (ISO) rules as part of Alberta's implementation of a capacity market.
As part of this transition, the Alberta Electric System Operator, which acts as the ISO, is required to make an application to the Commission for approval of a first set of provisional ISO rules considered to be essential for the implementation and operation of the Alberta capacity market. The Commission is required to consider and decide upon those rules within six months of the AESO's application.
The AESO's first application for approval of the provisional rules is expected in the first quarter of 2019.
The AUC's notice directs persons seeking to participate in the proceeding to file a submission of intent to participate by September 14, 2018, and to provide a submission setting out certain information on the subject matter with the AUC by October 29, 2018.
The AUC has asked interested parties to provide written submissions on the following:
- Components of the market design, and resulting ISO rules, that will not require discussion during the six-month process.
- Components of the market design, and resulting ISO rules, that will require exploration during the six-month process with an explanation of:
- The reason each component should be discussed in the six-month process.
- How the component affects the performance of the wholesale electricity market.
- The incentives the component creates and how those incentives may promote or frustrate achieving certain outcomes.
The AUC will set out further proceeding steps after assessing any submissions received.
More information about the Alberta capacity market design is available on the AESO website.
Accessing proceeding documents
The eFiling System should be accessed to view the applications and the other documents the AUC will be considering in this proceeding. The system is also used to file submissions and evidence to participate in the proceeding.
To create an account, select "New account" and follow the steps to create a user ID and password. If you have any questions about how to use the system please contact us at
email@example.com or 310-4AUC.
Documents being considered in this proceeding can be found in the eFiling System (which requires log in). Once you have logged in, enter 23757 in the "go to" section at the top left corner of your screen.