On July 23, 2018, the Alberta Utilities Commission issued a notice of Commission-initiated proceeding to outline its processes to consider independent system operator (ISO) rules as part of Alberta's transition to a capacity market.
As part of this transition, the Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO), which acts as the ISO, is required to make an application to the Commission for approval of the first set of provisional ISO rules that are essential for the implementation and operation of the Alberta capacity market. The Commission is required to consider and decide upon those rules within six months of the AESO's application.
The AESO's first application for approval of the provisional rules is expected in the first quarter of 2019.
The AUC has asked interested parties to provide written submissions on the following:
- Components of the market design, and resulting ISO rules, that will not require discussion during the six-month process.
- Components of the market design, and resulting ISO rules, that will require exploration during the six-month process with an explanation of:
- The reason each component should be discussed in the six-month process.
- How the component affects the performance of the wholesale electricity market.
- The incentives the component creates and how those incentives may promote or frustrate achieving certain outcomes.
The AUC will set out further proceeding steps after assessing any submissions received.
More information about the Alberta capacity market design is available on the AESO website.
Accessing proceeding documents
The eFiling System should be accessed to view the applications and the other documents the AUC will be considering in this proceeding. The system is also used to file submissions and evidence to participate in the proceeding.
To create an account, select "New account" and follow the steps to create a user ID and password. If you have any questions about how to use the system please contact us at
email@example.com or 310-4AUC.
Documents being considered in this proceeding can be found in the eFiling System (which requires log in). Once you have logged in, enter 23757 in the "go to" section at the top left corner of your screen.