The Alberta Utilities Commission is responsible for the development of rules regarding the role of market participants involved in electric load settlement and the development of comprehensive standards for electronic business transactions. Electric load settlement rules allow for the accurate, efficient and timely communication of load settlement information among market participants.
AUC Rule 021: Settlement System Code Rules has been adopted by the AUC to set the comprehensive standards for the market participants.
Each year the AUC works closely with stakeholders in resolving outstanding settlement issued identified. The annual Rule 021 change cycle is as follows:
1. January 1 to June 30: a. Form sub-working groups to deal with specific issues, if required. b. Sub-working groups to provide recommendations and/or resolutions to those identified issues. c. Settlement working group to review recommendations.
2. July 1 to September 30: a. AUC to draft proposed changes based on recommendations. b. Circulate among settlement working group members for review.
3. October 1 to 15: a. Posting proposed rule changes on AUC's website for stakeholder comment.
4. October 16 to 31: a. AUC to respond stakeholders' comments. b. Posting AUC responses.
5. November 1 to 30: (AUC internal) a. Present proposed changes to AUC Commission members. b. Respond to Commission member's questions. c. Seeking final approval from Commission members.
6. By December 15: a. Posting complete AUC Rule 021, with proposed changes. b. Rule effective the following January.
Load limiting device/program consultation
In order to better understand EPCOR Distribution & Transmission Inc.'s new load-limiting approach and associated impacts, Decision 21979-D01-2016 indicated that the AUC would initiate a consultation process before the end of February 2017 to seek further information on the proposed approach. The consultation was also held to allow wire owners to explain how load limiting was being performed in their service area. A summary of the discussions held during the consultation are highlighted in the meeting summary below.
February 8, 2017, load limiting consultation meeting summary
February 28, 2017, Rule 021 and Rule 028 industry consultation meeting summary
December 15, 2015
The Commission approved changes to Rule 021: Settlement System Code Rules on December 8, 2015. The following documents are related to the release of the current version (version 2.6) of Rule 021:
Bulletin 2015-23 AUC Rule 021 (version 2.6) AUC responses to stakeholder comments
Distributor deemed time table
Documents related to previous consultations about changes to Rule 021 can be filtered using the column headings below. Questions about the consultation process should be directed to email@example.com.