The Alberta Utilities Commission is reviewing applications for the Central East Transfer-out Transmission Development Project. The AUC issued a notice of hearing on October 13,
The Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO) has applied for approval of the need to construct
transmission developments to enable additional generation integration
capability in the central east and southeast sub-regions of Alberta, under the Electric Utilities Act.
Electric Ltd. and AltaLink Management Ltd. have applied, in separate
applications, to construct facilities to meet the need identified by the AESO.
As part of the applications, ATCO Electric Ltd. has requested approval to:
- Construct and operate a new double-circuit, approximately 80-kilometre long, 240-kilovolt (kV) transmission line between the existing Tinchebray 972S Substation and AltaLink Management Ltd's proposed 962L/968L transmission line, to be designated Transmission Line 9L62/9L68. ATCO Electric Ltd. applied with a preferred and alternate routes and proposed route variations.
- Alter the Tinchebray 972S Substation to accommodate the two new 240-kV circuits.
- The alterations to the Tinchebray 972S substation will include alterations to connecting transmission lines.
AltaLink Management Ltd. has requested approval to:
- Construct and operate a new double-circuit, approximately 50 to 60-kilometre long, 240-kV transmission line between the existing Gaetz 87S Substation and ATCO Electric Ltd.'s proposed 9L62/9L68 transmission line, to be designated Transmission Line 962L/968L. AltaLink Management Ltd. applied with preferred and alternate routes and proposed route variations.
- Alter the Gaetz 87S Substation to accommodate the two new 240-kV circuits.
Map 1 identifies the routes applied for by ATCO Electric Ltd. and AltaLink Management Ltd. The AUC may approve each of the preferred routes or any of the alternate routes. The proposed transmission line alterations surrounding
the Tinchebray 972S are shown in Map 2. Detailed maps can be
found in the eFiling system, or by visiting the AltaLink Management Ltd. and ATCO Electric Ltd. websites.
Virtual information session
A video is available
to provide information about how you may become involved in this proceeding and the funding which may be available to you to support your position, which includes costs for legal representation and expert witnesses.
The AUC held two virtual question and answer sessions on October 27 and 28, 2020 to answer questions from registered participants. Answers to frequently asked questions from this session are available here. The AUC's facility decision index is also available to assist stakeholders in researching issues that are raised frequently during proceedings that consider applications for power plants (including wind, hydro and solar), transmission lines, gas utility pipelines and other facilities. This tool can be used to help stakeholders understand how the AUC has viewed similar issues in previously issued decisions.
How to participate
If you wish to participate in this proceeding, please log in to the eFiling System, go to Proceeding 25469, and register to participate under the “registered parties” tab and file a submission. Alternatively, please contact us at 310-4282 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or assistance with filing your submission. The lead application officer, Laura Fukuda, can also be contacted at 403-592-4388 or by email at email@example.com. Submissions are due November 12, 2020.
The AUC will be holding a virtual hearing starting March 24,
2021 to consider intervener and applicant submissions and will consider
evidence and information submitted through the AUC's eFiling System.
Further information about the virtual hearing is available in the notice and under the review process steps for a facility project.
The eFiling System
The eFiling System should be accessed to view the applications and the other documents the AUC will be considering in this proceeding. The system is also used to file submissions and evidence to participate in the proceeding.
To create an account, select "New account" and follow the steps to create a user ID and password. If you have any questions about how to use the system please contact us at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-4AUC.
Documents being considered in this proceeding can be found in the eFiling System (which requires log in). Once you have logged in, enter 25469 in the "go to" section at the top left corner of your screen.