The Alberta Utilities Commission is reviewing applications for the Nilrem to Vermilion Transmission Project. Both applicants stated they intend to file updates no later than February 26, 2021. The AUC issued a notice of hearing on February 5, 2021.
The AUC previously approved the need for the transmission development in Decision 23429-D01-2019, as part of the Provost to Edgerton, Nilrem to Vermilion needs identification document filed by the Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO).
AltaLink Management Ltd. and ATCO Electric Ltd. have applied, in separate applications, to construct facilities to meet the need identified by the AESO.
AltaLink Management Ltd. has requested approval to:
- Construct and operate a new single-circuit, approximately 75 to 80-kilometre long, 240-kilovolt (kV) transmission line, which will initially be energized at 138-kV, between the existing Nilrem 574S Substation and ATCO Electric Ltd.'s proposed 7L333 transmission line, to be designated Transmission Line 333L. AltaLink Management Ltd. applied with preferred and alternate routes and proposed route variations.
- Alter the Nilrem 574S Substation to accommodate the new circuit, including adding two 138-kV circuit breakers
ATCO Electric Ltd. has requested approval to:
- Construct and operate a new single-circuit, approximately 13-kilometre long, 240-kilovolt (kV) transmission line, which will initially be energized at 138-kV, between the proposed Drury 2007S Substation and AltaLink Management Ltd's proposed 333L transmission line, to be designated Transmission Line 7L333. ATCO Electric Ltd. applied with preferred and alternate routes and proposed route variations.
- Construct and operate the Drury 2007S Substation, which would include four 144-kV circuit breakers and a 19-metre telecommunications tower
- Connect existing Transmission Line 7L65 to Drury 2007S Substation by constructing approximately 11 kilometres of double-circuit 144-kV transmission line.
The AUC may approve any of the preferred routes or the alternate routes. Detailed maps can be found in the eFiling system, or by visiting the AltaLink Management Ltd. and ATCO Electric Ltd. websites.
Virtual information session
A video is available to provide
information about how you may become involved in this proceeding and the
funding that may be available to you to support your position, which includes
costs for legal representation and expert witnesses. The video is also available in PDF form
The AUC will also be holding a virtual question and answer session on March 10, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. to answer questions from registered participants. Participants must
sign up through this link
by March 9, 2021 to participate in the session. Responses to frequently asked questions will be posted here after completion of the session.
facility decision index is also available to assist stakeholders in researching issues that are raised frequently during proceedings that consider applications for power plants (including wind, hydro and solar), transmission lines, gas utility pipelines and other facilities. This tool can be used to help stakeholders understand how the AUC has viewed similar issues in previously issued decisions.
How to participate
If you wish to participate in this proceeding, please log in to the
eFiling System, go to Proceeding 26145, and register to participate under the “registered parties” tab and file a submission. Alternatively, please contact us at 310-4282 or
firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or assistance with filing your submission. The lead application officer, Trevor Richards, can also be contacted at 403-592-4469 or by email at email@example.com.
Submissions are due March 17, 2021.
Summarized process schedule
The Commission has established the following process to consider the applications:
|Virtual Q&A session||March 10, 2021, 6:30 p.m.|
|Interveners' participation submissions||March 17, 2021|
|Interveners' information requests (questions) to applicants deadline||April 5, 2021|
|Applicants' deadline to respond to information requests||April 16, 2021|
|Interveners' written evidence deadline||April 30, 2021|
|Information requests to interveners about intervener evidence||May 11, 2021|
|Interveners' deadline to respond to information requests||May 25, 2021|
|Applicants' reply evidence deadline||June 4, 2021|
|Commencement of hearing||June 14, 2021|
The eFiling System
The eFiling System should be accessed to view the applications and the other documents the AUC will be considering in this proceeding. The system is also used to file submissions and evidence to participate in the proceeding.
To create an account, select "New account" and follow the steps to create a user ID and password. If you have any questions about how to use the system please
contact us at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-4AUC.
Documents being considered in this proceeding can be found in the eFiling System (which requires log in). Once you have logged in, enter 26145 in the "go to" section at the top left corner of your screen.