The Alberta Utilities Commission recently approved the Sharp Hills Wind Project Amendment project on December 20, 2019, in Decision 24401-D01-2019. The initial Sharp Hills Wind Project was approved by the AUC in Decision 22665-D01-2018 which was issued on September 21, 2018. EDP
Renewables SH Project GP Ltd. filed new applications to the AUC in April 2019 to amend the approved wind farm in the Sedalia area. The AUC held a hearing to review the application and submissions received on October 21, 2019, in its Calgary hearing room.
Renewables SH Project GP Ltd. is approved for the following amendments to the Sharp Hills Wind
Project in its new application:
- Splitting the project into two phases, designated as Sharp Hills Phase I and Sharp Hills Phase II.
- Reducing the number of turbines from 83 to 71.
- Changing the turbine model from 3.6-megawatt Vestas turbines to 4.2-megawatt Enercon turbines.
- Adjusting access roads and the collector system.
- Modifying the transformers at the Sedalia 363S Substation from two 169-megavolt ampere transformers to one 288-megavolt ampere transformer and one 58-megavolt ampere transformer.
With these amendments, the project’s capability reduced from 298.8 megawatts
to 298.2 megawatts, with the maximum height of the turbines being reduced from
200 metres to 197.3 metres.
Renewables SH Project GP Ltd.'s applications for review and variance of Condition 20 of Power Plant Approval 22665‑D02‑2018, which relates to post-construction
monitoring, were also approved.
The wind farm will be located in Special Areas 3 and 4, within Townships 31 to 33 and Ranges 4 to 6, near Sedalia, Alberta.
The eFiling System should be accessed to view the applications and the other documents the AUC will be considering in this proceeding. The system is also used to file submissions and evidence to participate in the proceeding.
To create an account, select "New account" and follow the steps to create a user ID and password. If you have any questions about how to use the system please contact us at
email@example.com or 310-4AUC.
Documents considered in this proceeding can be found in the eFiling System (which requires log in). Once you have logged in, enter 24401 in the "go to" section at the top left corner of your screen.